Novena, prayer intentions, reflection materials offered
WASHINGTON (January 6, 2011)—As the first anniversary of the earthquake that devastated Haiti last year approaches, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops invites U.S. Catholics to stand in prayerful solidarity with the people of Haiti.
“Haiti and its people still very much need our prayers and solidarity,” said Archbishop Wenski, chairman of the Special Advisory Group for Haiti at the USCCB. “As we approach the anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti, we join together with parishes, Catholic schools, youth groups, colleges and universities from across the country to remember the tragic events of that fateful afternoon and to respond in a faith-filled way.”
Catholics are invited to pray and reflect for nine days using the Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mother of the Americas. The novena starts on the evening of the anniversary, January 12, and culminates with the celebration of Mass the weekend of January 22-23, official date for the National Collection for Latin America, including Haiti and all of the Caribbean.
In addition to the novena, other catechetical and reflection resources, including didactical materials from Catholic Relief Services, have been collected at a special website, http://www.usccb.org/haiti/one-year-later.shtml, under the title One Year Later: Pray and Walk With our Sisters and Brothers in Haiti.
Find the novena and other updates and information related to Haiti at http://www.usccb.org/haiti/.
- 2011.02.02 17:28 - Women Entering Religious Orders Today Highly Educated, Experienced in Church Activities
- 2011.01.31 18:03 - Catholic Health Association Affirms the Role of the Local Bishop in Catholic Health Care
- 2011.01.24 23:16 - U.S. Bishops Support Three Bills to Strengthen Protections for Life and Conscience
- 2011.01.21 21:11 - Thousands to Pray For End to Abortion at National Prayer Vigil for Life
- 2011.01.20 23:18 - U.S. Bishops Review of the Application of Ex Corde Ecclesiae
- 2011.01.19 21:21 - Archbishop Dolan Outlines U.S. Bishops’ Legislative ‘Principles and Priorities’ For New Congress
- 2011.01.14 22:29 - BENEDICT XVI WILL BEATIFY JOHN PAUL II ON 1 MAY
- 2011.01.13 00:19 - Vatican Head of Justice and Peace to Address 2011 Catholic Social Ministry Gathering
- 2011.01.11 19:38 - U.S. Bishops’ President Sends Message of Support to Haitian Church...
- 2011.01.11 00:06 - Pope Benedict XVI's New Year Address to Diplomatic Corps
- 2011.01.07 23:18 - Envoy: Church, State Teamwork Makes for Happy Citizens
- 2011.01.06 17:30 - U.S. Catholic Bishops Urge To Protect Religious Freedom
- 2011.01.02 00:37 - Pontiff Stresses Urgent Need for Religious Freedom
- 2010.12.25 08:53 - Urbi et Orbi Christmas 2010
- 2010.12.22 17:28 - Doctrinal Congregation's Note on "Light of the World"
- 2010.12.17 00:07 - "Religious Freedom, the Path to Peace"
- 2010.12.15 23:57 - Migrant Families Focus of 2011 National Migration Week
- 2010.12.14 23:54 - Archbishop Celli's Message to Media in Latin America
- 2010.12.13 23:51 - Marriage Tribulations
- 2010.12.10 16:42 - USCCB Chairman Commends House Passage of Dream Act, Calls on U.S. Senate to Follow Suit