Decries Extremes of Secularism, Fundamentalism
VATICAN CITY, JAN. 1, 2011 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI is stressing the need for religious freedom throughout the world as the way of building peace.
The Pope stated this today before praying the midday Angelus with the pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square. He recalled in particular today's celebration of the World Day of Peace as well as the Solemnity of Mary the Mother of God.
"I invite all of you to join in heartfelt prayer to Christ the Prince of Peace for an end to violence and conflict wherever they are found," the Pontiff said.
He continued: "Yes, Jesus is our peace.
"He brought to the world the seed of love and peace, stronger than the seed of hatred and violence; stronger because the name of Jesus is superior to any other name, containing all the dominion of God."
This World Day of Peace, the Holy Father noted, is an "opportunity to reflect together on the great challenges facing humankind in our time."
"One of these, dramatically urgent today, is that of religious freedom," he added.
Benedict XVI acknowledged, "Today we see two opposite trends, both negative extremes: on one side secularism, which often in hidden ways marginalizes religion to confine it to the private sphere; on the other side fundamentalism, which in turn would like to impose itself on all by force."
"Religious freedom is the privileged way to build peace," he said.
The Pope affirmed that "peace is the work of consciences that open themselves to truth and love."
He concluded, "May God help us progress in this way in the new year that he has given us to live."
- 2011.01.21 21:11 - Thousands to Pray For End to Abortion at National Prayer Vigil for Life
- 2011.01.20 23:18 - U.S. Bishops Review of the Application of Ex Corde Ecclesiae
- 2011.01.19 21:21 - Archbishop Dolan Outlines U.S. Bishops’ Legislative ‘Principles and Priorities’ For New Congress
- 2011.01.14 22:29 - BENEDICT XVI WILL BEATIFY JOHN PAUL II ON 1 MAY
- 2011.01.13 00:19 - Vatican Head of Justice and Peace to Address 2011 Catholic Social Ministry Gathering
- 2011.01.11 19:38 - U.S. Bishops’ President Sends Message of Support to Haitian Church...
- 2011.01.11 00:06 - Pope Benedict XVI's New Year Address to Diplomatic Corps
- 2011.01.10 08:06 - U.S. Bishops Invite Catholics to Commemorate Haiti’s Earthquake Anniversary with Prayer, Reflection
- 2011.01.07 23:18 - Envoy: Church, State Teamwork Makes for Happy Citizens
- 2011.01.06 17:30 - U.S. Catholic Bishops Urge To Protect Religious Freedom
- 2010.12.25 08:53 - Urbi et Orbi Christmas 2010
- 2010.12.22 17:28 - Doctrinal Congregation's Note on "Light of the World"
- 2010.12.17 00:07 - "Religious Freedom, the Path to Peace"
- 2010.12.15 23:57 - Migrant Families Focus of 2011 National Migration Week
- 2010.12.14 23:54 - Archbishop Celli's Message to Media in Latin America
- 2010.12.13 23:51 - Marriage Tribulations
- 2010.12.10 16:42 - USCCB Chairman Commends House Passage of Dream Act, Calls on U.S. Senate to Follow Suit
- 2010.12.08 21:27 - Archbishop Gregory Named U.S. Catholic Bishops’ Moderator of Jewish Affairs
- 2010.12.04 21:27 - U.S. Catholic Bishops to Congress: The Dream Act is the ‘Right Thing to Do’
- 2010.11.26 20:37 - U.S. Bishops’ Website Offers Resources for Advent and Christmas Seasons